The Single Fin Project is on hold this weekend to make some time for some good ol’ ding repair. I was running on one un-dinged board until last week. Had a little accident in the car and my lone watertight board is no longer watertight. So, with some help from Mac Dog, all the little dings, cracked tails, dents and mystery holes in my quiver are now fixed. Bonus.
Finally, the weekend. Ahhh….. some time to work on the board. We’re so close I can smell it. Or that might be resin fumes. My brain feels tingly. Anyway, gloss coat on top and bottom today. So stoked. We’re water tight now. Only a light sand to go and we’re done. Can’t wait.
Time doesn’t stop for anyone. Life stuff trumps project stuff sometimes, but that’s ok. Some of that time passed going surfing so no complaints.
Somewhere after your have an idea, after you make a plan, after you take those first few exciting steps, you hit The Details. Shit gets hard, harder than it sounded in the plan. Some parts of the plan aren’t going to work as you thought they would. The old grey-matter needs to be engaged, you need to problem solve, work with care. This is where we find ourselves today.
The tail reconstruction is easily the trickiest part of the project. Getting the angles and shapes right, getting the bond strong enough to work with. It’s slow and careful work. Like with everything, the more care taken now the better the result with be. It will, of course, be worth it in the end.
The tail on this little fella was rank. It had been fixed badly before. The glass was shite and the blank underneath was brown and water damaged. Looks like it might have been stored upright with the tail grinding on the concrete or maybe in the damp dirt behind a shed some place. Whatever the cause, the last two inches of the tail were completely buggered, too buggered to fix.
So in the planning session we decided it was best to cut the tail back to a point where the blank was healthy and start again. To give the new tail some strength I decided to dowel the join. I think I probably went one size of dowel too big, but it’s not really a major issue. Once the join is doweled, bogged and glassed it will be plenty strong. You’re not going to have your foot that far back that you’d ever press down behind the join.
The other advantage of amputation is we can re-shape our own tail. The board originally had a rounded square from what I can tell. I’m pretty keen to give this guy a mellow rounded pin to get a really nice curve through the rail and flow in the turn.
You spend so much of your time being really careful with boards so you don’t ding them. It was fucking weird to take the saw to one. If you wan’t to make an omelette…. I guess.
Oh, and that yellow brown stuff holding the dowels in is just a q-cell resin mix with yellow tint mixed in. I wanted to see how much tint you needed to add to get a strong yellow. Don’t worry, it’s not wood putty, although it kind of looks like it.